For membership in our chapter, please contact us at email@example.com
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
About Jessamine County
"Jessamine County was named by Col. John Price, one of the Representatives in Legislature, who stated he named it for a flower which flourishes in the region and for Jessamine Creek. A moving legend tells that the creek was named for Jessamine Douglass, daughter of an early settler, who was stealthily tomahawked by an Indian as she rested on the banks of the creek.
From Jessamine County Bicentennial 1798-1998
"Jessamine County was the 36th Kentucky county in order of formation. Most of the early pioneers were from Virginia, who came through the mountains after the American Revolutionary War.
Nicholasville is the county seat of Jessamine County. Nicholasville was founded by Reverend John Metcalf in 1798. The town was named by Metcalf in honor of Colonel George Nicholas, a framer of the Kentucky constitution in 1792.
Wilmore, first settled in 1779, is the second largest town in Jessamine County. It is the home of Asbury University and Asbury Theological Seminary. Asbury was started by Reverend J. W. Hughes in 1890 and was named after Bishop Francis Asbury, the first Methodist bishop in America. The actual town of Wilmore practically began with the foundation of Asbury College. Wilmore's Main Street is a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
Camp Nelson, first established in 1863 and named for Major General William "Bull" Nelson. During the Civil War, Camp Nelson was used as a supply depot and a training site for new Union soldiers. Camp Nelson National Cemetery, established in 1863, is located just north of Camp Nelson. It contains the remains of 1,600 Camp Nelson soldiers, including some 600 African-Americans. In 1868 this cemetery was designated a National Cemetery and over 2,200 Civil War dead from several Kentucky Civil War sites including Perryville, Richmond and Covington were reburied here."
from the Jessamine County Historical Society